Father of Parkland victim meets with White House officials over gun control


The father of a Parkland High School shooting victim is on his way home after spending two weeks protesting outside the White House, trying to meet with President Joe Biden to push for gun control.

While Manuel Oliver, whose son Joaquin was killed, has not met the president, he has met with White House officials, he said.

Joaquin “Guac” Oliver was one of 17 killed in the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

“Thursday, after spending 15 days in front of the White House, I met [Senior Adviser to the President] Cedric Richmond, [Domestic Policy Adviser] Susan Rice and other administration officials working to address the public health crisis of gun violence, ”Oliver said in a statement.

“I expressed my frustration with the administration’s limited attention to this critical issue and expressed my expectations – and the expectations of survivors across the country – that the administration will step up its engagement over the course of year two and set a clear action plan at next year’s State of the Union.

Oliver said he felt reassured that “the White House understands the urgency of dealing with this crisis and the need for the president to get more involved.”

“We asked yesterday that we need President Biden … to declare war [on] Gun violence. … If he doesn’t, we will, ”he told CNN.

Settlement with the government

Last month, the families of the victims of the 2018 shooting announced that they had reached a multi-million dollar deal with the federal government, saying the FBI had failed to stop the shooting despite knowledge of the intentions of the shooter.

Weeks before the shooting, the FBI received a tip from an anonymous caller that the gunman, Nikolas Cruz, had bought guns and intended to “sneak into a school and start shooting the gun. ‘place”.

“I know it’s going to explode,” the caller told the FBI.

The information was never passed on to the South Florida FBI office, and officials never interviewed Cruz, who had been kicked out of high school a year earlier.

Cruz, now 23, has pleaded guilty to 17 counts of first degree murder and will likely be sentenced to death or life in prison in a criminal trial that begins in January.

In October, the families settled a case with the Broward County School District for $ 25 million.

About Betty Nelson

Check Also

Parkland avenges 2021 loss by claiming title against Northampton – The Morning Call

The Parkland men’s volleyball team vividly remembers last year’s five-set loss in the Eastern Conference …