SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The No. 13 Texas women’s golf team shot a 305 of 17 over par on Friday and sits in 19th place after the NCAA Championship opener at Grayhawk Golf Club. Graduate Brigitte Thibault was the bottom Longhorn that day with a 75 three-over-par and is tied for 45th in the individual standings.
In addition to the Longhorns (No. 13 in the WGCA Coaches’ final poll of the season, released May 6, 2022), the 24-team NCAA Championship field includes: No. 1 Stanford, No. 2 Oregon, No. 3 South Carolina, No. 4 Wake Forest, No. 5 San Jose State, No. 6 Oklahoma State, No. 7 Arizona State, No. 8 Virginia, No. 9 Alabama, No. 10 UCLA, No. 11 USC, No. 14 LSU, No. 15 Florida State, No. 16 Baylor, No. 17 Texas A&M, No. 18 Auburn, No. 19 Michigan, No. 21 Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi State, Purdue, TCU and Vanderbilt.
Stanford’s No. 1 holds the team lead at one on par 289, while No. 17 Texas A&M is second at four on par 292 and No. 10 UCLA is third at seven on par 295 .
Stanford’s Rose Zhang leads the individual standings after shooting a four-under 68 in the first round. Texas A&M’s Zoe Slaughter is second at three-under 69, while a three-man squad is tied for third at one-under 71.
The NCAA championship continues with 18 stroke play holes each on Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22. The top 15 teams following Sunday will face off in an additional 18-hole stroke play round on Monday, May 23. The top eight teams will then face off in match play on Tuesday May 24 and Wednesday May 25. UT will once again be paired with No. 11 USC and No. 15 Florida State for Saturday’s second round, with tee times beginning at 9:25 a.m. CT at hole 10.
- Graduate Brigitte Thibault shot a 75-3 over par and is tied for 45th in the individual standings. Thibault recorded three birdies (#6, par 4; #17, par 4; #18, par 5) in the opening round.
- First-year student Bohyun Park shot a par-76 four and is tied for 55th in the individual standings. Park also recorded three birdies (#3, par-4; #7, par-5; #18, par-5) that day.
- Senior Sara Kouskova scored a 77 from five over par to tie her for 81st in the individual standings. Kouskova birdied (#17, par-4) in the first round.
- Junior Sophie Guo had a 77 of five over par and is tied for 81st in the individual standings. Guo led the team with four birdies (#4, par-5; #7, par-5; #16, par-3; #18, par-5) that day.
- Second year Bentley Cotton posted a 79 over par and is tied for 100th in the individual standings. Cotton recorded a birdie (No. 13, par-3) on Friday.